mb recommendation

Francois Tigeot ftigeot at wolfpond.org
Tue Apr 25 14:31:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 10:07:27AM -0300, JoaoBR wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 April 2006 09:00, Francois Tigeot wrote:
> >
> > Asus A8V-E-SE
> >
> > Socket 939, PCI-E.
> >
> > VIA chipset with a SATA pseudo-RAID implementation.
> >
> > Everything works perfectly (running an Opteron here) with the caveat that
> > you can't use 4GB of memory.
> >
> > Every 64-bit OS I have tested crashed with 4GB populated. Up to three GB,
> > this board is fine.
>

> crashes under which condition?

4 GB of memory (4x1GB Kingston ECC) and the option to remap memory > 4GB set
to on in the BIOS.

FreeBSD, Centos, SuSE, Ubuntu, etc... all crashed.

AFAIK, it is a bug in the Asus A8V-E-SE BIOS.

The same memory and processor worked fine in a real server board.

See this thread for reference:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2006-April/024622.html

--
Francois Tigeot