amd64/94896: Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel ?

Michael Vince mv at thebeastie.org
Sun Apr 9 14:21:54 UTC 2006

Oliver Fromme wrote:

>Andrei <hhc at tut.by> wrote:
> >
> > > Number:         94896
> > > Category:       amd64
> > > Synopsis:       Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel ?
> > > Confidential:   no
> > > Severity:       serious
> > Where support VESA Modes for AMD64 kernel?
>
>It's not possible to support it.
>
> > Why "options VESA" not worked  for AMD64?
>
>Because FreeBSD/amd64 cannot perform calls to the VESA BIOS
>functions (which are 32bit i386 code, not amd64).
>
> > How make videomode 1280x1024 or another?
>
>I recommend you use Xorg for that.  Otherwise, if you
>absolutely need VESA modes, you have to install 32bit
>FreeBSD/i386.
>
> > Why only one mode 80x25 available?
>
>Actually I think 80x50 should be possible with vidcontrol(1),
>which is a standard mode that does not require VESA BIOS.
>
>Best regard
>

>   Oliver

I don't want to sound like a complainer but there must still technically
be a console based hi-res mode for AMD64 because I saw such a high res
mode when I tried out Gentoo on my laptop.
I decided I didn't like Gentoo but aside from that point it proves that
some how its possible for hi-res console even if no such code exists on
FreeBSD AMD64.

Mike