recommended PCI-E video card?

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Mon Apr 3 07:59:38 UTC 2006

On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 01:05:03 -0600
Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:

> Igor Robul wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm planing to build AMD64 based workstation, and have one question:
> >
> > which PCI-Express video card works best with X.org on freebsd-amd64 in
> > x64 mode?
> >
> > AFAIK nVidia does not have binary drivers for FreeBSD on AMD64, so what
> > opensource driver works best for X.org+FreeBSD+AMD64?
>
> When I looked at this a couple of months ago, the answer was that 2D
> works just fine, but there simply isn't any support for this
> configuration for 3D acceleration.  Maybe that has changed recently.

I looked at it a couple weeks back and nothing has changed.  At lease
w.r.t. ATI based pci-e cards.  I've got some fairly inexpensive Radeon
300 based PCI- E cards w/128MB ram that I figure will be supported
sooner or later... But if you want/need 3D today then look to an AGP
based card.  That puts you into an older MB though so....

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson

A: Why is putting a reply at the top of the message frowned upon?