6.0-BETA4 and Intel SBX82 PS/2 keyboard and bge issues

Guy Helmer ghelmer at palisadesys.com
Tue Sep 20 15:02:50 PDT 2005

I'm trying to help get FreeBSD 6.0 BETA4 working on an Intel SBX82 blade
in an SBCE Bladeform chassis, and we've run into a couple of things that
I could use some advice on since I don't have direct access to the unit.

My colleague was able to use a ps/2 keyboard with the 6.0 BETA4 amd64
disc1 installation CD for an initial check of the hardware to make sure
it would work.  However, when using my own 6.0-B4-derived CD with a
GENERIC kernel, standard loader, and stock /boot/device.hints, the
kernel hangs when probing atkbd0.  My colleague has tried setting
hint.atkbd.0.flags to 0x9 which I believe allowed it to boot but the
system ignored the ps/2 keyboard, and he has tried all values for the
flags between 0 and 9.  I can't seem to find the difference between the
disc1 installation CD and a plain GENERIC-based CD that could make the
ps/2 keyboard work differently.

Also, the bge0 interface doesn't seem to go to from status "no carrier"
to "active" until my friend manually assigns an IP address with ifconfig
(probably connected to a Cisco switch).  He is trying to use dhclient to
obtain an IP address via the bge0 interface, but it seems to give up
without bringing up the interface.  Do we need to manually setup the
media in dhclient.conf?  I haven't run into this before...

Thanks in advance for any help,
Guy

--
Guy Helmer, Ph.D.