java/jdk15: build failure on FBSD 6.0/AMD64

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Wed Sep 14 09:55:39 PDT 2005

Hello.
Since my last posting about failing to build a working JDK I tried again
with all the recommendations I got from this list.

On FreeBSD/i386, build process still dies due to a sanity check error
(watch out my previous posting about this error). One possible cause
should be a missing Linuxulator - but that's not the trueth. Linux was
enabled either as kernel module and loaded when system boots or
staticaly built into the kernel. In both cases I receive the same error :-(

On FreeBSD/AMD64 everything seems to build perfectly since this error
occurs (and it seemes to be at the end of the build process):

Force the Client VM when dumping the shared archive since you can't
dump the archive with the Server VM.

I feel confused, I read about this error but no solutions or workaround.
It confuses me a bit that I still run into harsh trouble although I do
exactly all the steps the port repository recommends! On the other hand,
I ran into trouble fetching some essential ports needed by the
jdk15-build process on an AMD64 architecture, but they are i386 and I
needed fetching them on another i386-based machine (I remember myself it
was a XFree86 library for Linux and not available for amd64, but
fetching ports from FreeBSD 6.0/amd64 let me get ports only for amd64!).

Within the last 4 years I belong to the 'small' (?) group of FreeBSD
users who never had success compiling a working JAVA environment. So
neither OpenOffice is fully working, nor FireFox or Mozilla are capable
of working with JAVA under FBSD 5/6. Mmmmmmhhhh ...

May there are some hidden hints and tricks?

Oliver