Compiling modules statically

theblues gnr thebluesgnr at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 13 10:44:41 PDT 2005

>Edit the kernel configuration file and add the appropriate entry (cf
>GENERIC or NOTES).  This is surely described in the handbook.
>
>Kris

I built my own kernel, and I made sure to include the options:

device          miibus     # MII bus support
device          vge        # VIA VT612x gigabit ethernet

I built twice, using each method (I named them FBSD001 and FBSD002). In both
cases the custom kernel was installed, but still I got the panic when
booting with the onboard VIA Velocity enabled.

I also tried loading the kernel from the boot prompt, with the following

unload (to unload all modules)
disable-module if_vge
boot

And still the same kernel panic. :(