Compiling modules statically

theblues gnr thebluesgnr at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 12 12:35:24 PDT 2005

Hello everyone!

I'm having trouble setting up networking on the ABIT AV8 motherboard using
the onboard NIC. From:
http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html

"On-board ethernet controller (vge(4)) does not work unless statically
compiled into kernel."

I do know how to compile a kernel (from the Handbook) but I do not know how
to compile a module statically. Could anyone please point me to the right
documentation on doing that?
I swear I looked almost everywhere (that is, everywhere but the right
place).

Also, I found on google that an alternative is to stop the module from being
loaded at boot, and loading it only after the system boots. I tried to
disable the module (disable-module if_vge on the console prompt) but I still
get a kernel panic related to vge when booting. Is there a correct way to
stop the module from being loaded? And how would I go about loading it
manually, later?

In case you're wondering, I had to disable the onboard NIC to install
FreeBSD, or I get a kernel panic.

Thanks in advance. :)