reboots

David Reid david at jetnet.co.uk
Sun Sep 11 15:39:04 PDT 2005

Following a recent commit to the sound driver my system (-CURRENT)
started rebooting when gnome started. The eventual cause turned out be
as (seemingly) innocent as the following call

snd_mtxassert(d->lock);
[line 169 sys/dev/sound/pcm/sound.c]

defined as

void
snd_mtxassert(void *m)
{
#ifdef USING_MUTEX
#ifdef INVARIANTS
        struct mtx *mtx = m;

        mtx_assert(mtx, MA_OWNED);
#endif
#endif
}

This code runs OK on i386 (the developer who tested and committed said
that's what he was running), so given that it didn't cause problems
there, but does on my system I wondered if it might be somehow related
to the issues I see when mounting music CD's? When the system reboots
there is nothing written to the syslog and no sign of a kernel panic.

I'm open to suggestions on how to further debug this :-)

david