realtek performance (was Re: good ATI chipset results)

Sean McNeil sean at mcneil.com
Thu Oct 13 08:13:25 PDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-13 at 09:17 -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> Havent really seen anyone else use this board, but I have had good
> luck with it so far
>
> http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=506&MenuID=90&LanID=0
>
> Its a micro ATX formfactor with built in video and the onboard NIC is
> a realtek.  (Although its not the fastest NIC, its driver is stable
> and mature-- especially compared to the headaches people seem to have
> with the NVIDIA NICs.)

Is this the RealTek 8169S Single-chip Gigabit Ethernet?

For those interested, here are some changes I always use to increase the
performance of the above NIC.  With these mods, I can stream over 20
MBps video multicast and do other stuff over the network without issues.
Without the changes, xmit is horrible with severe UDP packet loss.

Cheers,
Sean