FreeBSD amd 64 and VMWARE issues

Daniel Rock freebsd at deadcafe.de
Wed Nov 30 16:51:38 GMT 2005

Jia-Shiun Li schrieb:
> Derrick,
>
> You must have
> 1.Windows x64 edition as host

You can run an 64 bit guest OS on a 32 bit Windows host.

> 2.VMWare Workstation 5.5 (from which begins to support amd64 guests)
> to install amd64 version as guest OS.

> 2005/11/28, Derrick Edwards <dantavious at comcast.net>:
>
>>       Hi,
>>I am trying to install FreeBSD amd 6.0 release as a guest operating system on
>>VMWARE 5.0. I have a ABIT KU8 motherboard and AMD 64 anthlon 3700. If I
>>install Freebsd 6 amd 64 by itself I works great. I only get the following
>>error when installing it in VMWARE.

3. You need an Athlon64/Opteron processor with at least D-Stepping. AFAIK all
Socket 754 processors are stepping CG or lower. So I don't think you will have
any luck even with the current VMWare release.

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx

Daniel