bad instability on FreeBSD/amd64 6.0

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Mon Nov 28 18:06:47 GMT 2005

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> i've read few articles on the net that FreeBSD/amd64 crashes very
> frequently, contrary to /i386.
>
> how much truth is in that? i would strongly prefer to run amd64 system
> on amd64 machine that i will buy this week.

Been running for well over a year now - in production, from 5.3-RELEASE to
6.0-RELEASE units in single and dual AMD Opterons, and on AMD Athlon 64 desktops
- no instability as far as I've encountered, outside of some library and version
compatability stuff with ldap/threads/nss_ldap - but still not cause lockup of
machine or anything, just wayward ldap processes (problem fixed within 6.0-RC1
and newer) - so would really reccomend you go with the 6.0 branch if you're
going to be using nss/pam tied to an LDAP tree anyhow.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.