My make buildworld FreeBSD 6.0R amd64 test

Ruslan Ermilov ru at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 28 11:16:47 GMT 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 05:52:16AM -0500, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 12:42:53PM +0200, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 07:22:22AM +0100, Martin Nilsson wrote:
> > > Hi list,
> > >
> > > I made some simple comparing of CPU performance between intel and AMD
> > > CPU:s on FreeBSD 6.0R The intent was to see how things like dualcore and
> > > Hyperthreading affects a rather CPU bound real world job.
> > >
> > > The results can be seen here:
> > > http://www.mullet.se/support/amd64-buildworld.html
> > >
> > > Please don't publish this anywhere else, I want to have your comments
> > > and a chance to fix any errors before I get slashdotted and flamed to
> > > hell :-)
> > >
> > For the starters, you're compiling two different sets of files,
> > one for i386 and another for amd64.  You'd better compare the
> > same set.  This can be done (approximately) by doing a cross-build
> > for say i386: "make -jN buildworld TARGET_ARCH=i386".  Also, given
> > the amount of memory that you have in these machines, it shouldn't
> > be a problem to put /usr/src and /usr/obj onto a memory disk.
>
> That will only cross-compile on amd64; isn't it better to
> cross-compile a third party (e.g. sparc64) on both i386 and amd64?

As jkoshy@ has pointed out to me, the Intel CPUs present in
this table support EMT64, so the author is probably running
FreeBSD/amd64 on them and my point about cross-build doesn't
make sense.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov