directions

Ranko Sredojevic surija at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 20:10:48 GMT 2005

On 11/27/05, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 01:31:47PM -0500, Ranko Sredojevic wrote:
> >   Hi all!
> >
> > Since I'm not sure where these should go, I'm putting them here, and
> > someone might give me directions to another list if appropriate.
> >
> > Couple of questions now:
> >
> > (1) Octave build is finally over and I'm trying it out. It took around
> 16
> > hours on athlon
> > 3200+/1GB for the record.
>
> A lot of that time is for the atlas library. If you already have that
> installed, octave builds a lot faster.
>
> > SciLab won't build. It gives message that gcc3.?.? (I forgot the number)
> is
> > needed
> > and that this is unavailable for amd64. Any cure?
>
> According to the port's Makefile, scilab doesn't work with GCC
> 3.3, and then asks for GCC 3.2, which doesn't seem to work on amd64.
> Since 6.0 uses GCC 3.4, try removing the following lines from the
> port's makefile, and see if it works:
>
> # Scilab broken with GCC 3.3 on FreeBSD 5.3
> .if ${OSVERSION} >= 503000
> USE_GCC=        3.2
> .endif

It compiles (I actually changed 503000 to 600000 and 3.2 to 3.4). No
problems...
It loads fine, without any problems. Couple quick calculations also went
fine. I guess
it works...

Any ideas on lpd/lpq problem? I sent various things out to print... More or
less succesfully... :\
I use the simplest filter: cat, trying to send .ps to the printer. Sometimes
it prints the whole
document... sometimes just part of it... (for longer ones) I haven't managed
to get more
than 8 pages (4 sheets) in one print? Any ideas?

rasha