Hardware RAID support? Which controller best to use?

Martin Nilsson martin at gneto.com
Sat Nov 26 07:12:11 GMT 2005

Roger Marquis wrote:
> Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:
>
>>> Sadly, the fast LSI SCSI RAID drivers either don't exist for FreeBSD
>>> or are not mature.  Adaptec SCSI RAID is also not as well supported
>>> as some of the SATA RAID cards.
>>

>> What?  Is this some sort of troll?
>

> Scott,
>
> Are you saying that the mpt drivers are no longer "largely
> unmaintained" or that there are management and monitoring tools
> for any Adaptec (U320) card?

In my book "fast LSI SCSI RAID" refers to the amr driver and the
MegaRAID cards, not the cheap LSI SCSI boards with IME (Integrated
Mirroring Enhanced - RAID 1E) that uses mpt.

The amr boards have excellent support in FreeBSD and even official
support from LSI. LSI have mgmt tools available for FreeBSD on their web.

/Martin