FreeBSD 6.0-release AMD64 stability/reliability?

Olaf Greve o.greve at axis.nl
Tue Nov 22 09:07:19 GMT 2005

Hi,

Well, the people who are going to order the hardware for the DB server I
have been asking some question about have almost made their minds up. It
seems indeed they'll go for an SATA 3ware RAID controller... Depending
on availability and price locally over here they'll probably choose
something from the 8000 or 9000 series. We'll see...

Meanwhile: indeed I will be the one who will be installing the OS, and
I'm looking at FreeBSD 6.0-release AMD64.

Can anyone tell me whether that already is a smart choice for a live DB
server (in terms of matureness, stability, reliability, etc.), or
whether it would be wiser to stick to FreeBSD 5.4-release AMD64 for this?

Also: in case at a later point in time I want to upgrade the complete OS
to a more recent version (once they're available), will it be easy to go
through the 'buildworld' process? From what I gather this shouldn't be
too much of an issue, it's just that I've never done it before...

Tnx in advance for any answers, and cheers!
Olafo