Sun U20 supported, fully/partially working... or not at all?

Daniel Rock freebsd at deadcafe.de
Wed Nov 16 13:42:10 PST 2005

Julien Gabel schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently looking for feedback on using a Sun Ultra 20 Workstation.
>
> I didn't found anything on freebsd-amd64@, nor in the list of supported
> motherboards (http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html).
> Only the Sun Fire V20z seems ok.

The Ultra-20 contains just an ordinary Tyan Tomcat K8E (S2865) mainboard with
some components stripped off (just like the X2100 server BTW). I see no reason
why it shouldn't run FreeBSD.

The following components from a normal S2865 are missing on the U-20:
- no PS/2 mouse/keyboard ports - USB should work though
- no serial port
- no bge ethernet, only nve

The last one should be really annoying since the nve driver on FreeBSD is
still quite buggy.

Daniel