BindAddress exception error (was BindAddress error with jdk1.5 and Tomcat and Resin)

Richard Schilling rschi at rsmba.biz
Fri Nov 11 18:23:06 PST 2005

This was the fix.  Thanks' Sean.  (I'll honor the free web hosting BTW)

Here's what I did.  I added the following line to /etc/rc.conf:

jakarta_tomcat55_java_opts="-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true"

JDK1.5 chokes on binding to any address with FreeBSD 6.0 because of the
IPv6 stack.

The JDK documentation on IPv6 documents this command line define, also.

On a related note, when I tried to build JDK1.5 with IPV6 support, I got
an error.  But, that's a subject for another thread, I think.

Thanks Sean.

Richard