FreeBSD 5.4 or 6.0 as postgresql-server

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Nov 11 07:18:13 PST 2005

On Nov 9, 2005, at 5:47 PM, Claus Guttesen wrote:

> Since 6.0 just came out the door it may be premature to ask whether I
> should go for RELENG_6_0 or 5.4 (RELENG_5). The server will only be
> doing postgresql 7.4.9. Is anyone running postgresql with 8 GB RAM or
> more on 6.0?
>
> Our current (and slightly smaller hardware-wise) db-server is running
> RELENG_5_4 but I'd like to get the improved smp-, disk- and
> network-related improvements in 6.0.

I'm running 5.4-REL on Tyan K8SR boards with dual opterons at 4GB,
LSI 320-2X RAID cards configured with a 2 disk RAID1 for system + PG
log and 6 disk RAID10 for data.

However, I do not run the onboard BGE nics.  I use a plug-in Intel
dual gigabit nic. We had some lockups with the bge onboard until we
switched to the Intels.

Postgres 8.0.4 runs non-stop and with great speed.

I just took delivery (and will be putting into full-load pre-
production testing today) a similar system (it has more disks is the
major difference) with FreeBSD 6.0-REL.  So far my experience with a
couple of other 6.0/amd64 systems (one in production) has been
positive.  I don't anticipate any problems, but do expect some
improvements in concurrency to the disk.

I've been avoiding > 4GB RAM because of issues I hear others have
been having, such as yours...  One of these days I'll try it I'm sure.