problems booting recompiled 5.4-kernel (Was: amd64 does not see all 4 GB RAM on tyan GT24)

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 10:16:53 PST 2005

I have problems booting a recompiled kernel with FreeBSD 5.4 stable. I
thought it was related to enabling smp in the kernel, but I have just
rebuild kernel without smp (and rebuild world as well) and the server
did not come back up.

When I rebooted a recompiled kernel it stopped with calcru negative
time so I tried to change kern.timecounter.hardware to i8254 in
/boot/loader.conf, but it seems to ignore my hint. Doing a sysctl
kern.timecounter.hardware (when booting the original kernel from the
installation) shows ACPI-fast.

I added CPUTYPE=k8 to /etc/make.conf.

I unfortunately don't have access to the console until tomorrow.

regards
Claus