Intel EM64T Processor Platform

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun May 29 01:43:40 PDT 2005

On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 10:14:42AM +0200 I heard the voice of
Roland Smith, and lo! it spake thus:

> I'm not sure if it is even possible to convert (recompile) an
> existing install from i386 to amd64.

I did it on 5.3-RELEASE, since amd64 doesn't have install floppies.
The process went something like:

- Cross-build the world and kernel (TARGET_ARCH=amd64).
- Temporarily appropriate your swap partition, newfs it, mount it on
  /mnt.
- Do an installworld and installkernel DESTDIR=/mnt.
- Reboot and fiddle around in the boot loader to set the right rootdev
  to boot off that partition.  I can't remember which param needs
  tweaking...
- Mount your regular partitions under /mnt (you may have to make
  symlinks for src and obj to get it to work right).
- Do another installworld and installkernel onto /mnt (this /mnt now
  being your real filesystems).
- Boot normally.  Reclaim your swap partition.

Some notes:
- These installworlds may need to be done with make -k, since there's
  some weirdness I came across.
- You may have to do another buildworld/installworld afterward, just
  to make sure everything is clean.  The cross-build, for instance,
  didn't seem to build the i386 compatibility libraries and dynamic
  loader.  And there's the errors that made me -k the installworlds...

A fairly long process, but not too difficult.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net