Dual Xeon EM64T crashes reliably w/ 5.x amd64

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Wed May 25 16:53:48 PDT 2005

2005-05-26 kl. 00.09 skrev Claus Guttesen:

>> with identical hardware. His machine is not as loaded, so in his case
>> moving from four CPUs (two "real" + HTT) to two real (shutting down
>> HTT) was enough to stop the crashes. For me, I must run UP.
>
> What compile-options do you have in /etc/make.conf? Doing php I guess
> it's a web-server, what other apps are running on the server? Is the
> server located in a location with adequate cooling?

cooling, yes. You can see my previous posts for more info, but in
short, we run php apache-1.3, postgresql-8.0.3, perl-5.8.6 (amavisd),
postfix, named, clamd. httpd is very busy.

CPUTYPE?=nocona
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe

Kernel is generic except some small details, see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2005-May/004949.html

> May not apply any longer, but during the 5.1-days Scott Long advised
> me to add the following lines to /boot/loader.conf:
>
> echo vm.kmem_size="450000000" >> /boot/loader.conf

# sysctl vm.kmem_size
vm.kmem_size: 419430400

> echo kern.maxvnodes="200000" >> /boot/loader.conf

# sysctl kern.maxvnodes
kern.maxvnodes: 100000

Both are lower, but I don't believe this would crash a 5.4 system? Much
has happened since 5.1.

> That prevented my webservers from rebooting without any apparent
> reason. Too many temp-files was the cause. Try purging temp-files more
> often if the above lines do help.

I don't have many temp files, doubt it is the problem. It can be an
out-of-memory situation, possibly... I realize now it is swapping, 25%
of swap used. Must get more memory, I guess... can the machine crash
that hard when out of memory???

Problem is, I hardly dare to try anything right now. I'm running
single-CPU, it works fine. If it starts crashing again soon, I'll start
loosing customers.

Would abandoning amd64 and installing a i386 system help? Probably yes?
I'd rather not, that's a substantial amount time to reinstall
everything... :(

/Palle