Working and broken Linux ports on amd64

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 31 12:39:17 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 09:06:43AM -0800, Astrodog wrote:
> Long term.... Perhaps a
> Linux32 and Linux64 dep? Not sure. Anyone have thoughts on that? I
> know its been discussed before, but I don't think a resolution ever
> came out of it.

No.  There will only be /compat/linux.  No linux32 or linux64 versions.
Sometime in the future the linux_base port will be larger (ie, contain
64-bit objects also).  The 64-bit things will live in the places
specified by the Linux LSB spec.

> For now, I'm
> going to go with the assumption that there will be /compat/linux32 and
> linux64. If this has been resolved, let me know so I can make the
> ports fix I'm gonna work on reflect that.

For right now, add amd64 to 'ONLY_FOR_ARCHS'.  And add any of the rest of
the below that is needed:

    .if (${ARCH} == "amd64")
    ARCH=			i386
    FALLBACK_ELF_MIB=	kern.elf32.fallback_brand
    RPMFLAGS+=		--noscripts
    .endif

Doesn't anyone read the ports' Makefile any more??

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)