Problems with AMD64 and 8 GB RAM?

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 31 05:39:19 PST 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 12:27 AM, Scott Long wrote:

> Jon Noack wrote:

>>> Agreed.  This has been my favourite hypothesis all along.  But isn't
>>> that what jhb is saying?

>>> No, there's nothing to break through.  I think you're just having
>>> problems
>>>
>>> 1.  expressing yourself, and
>>> 2.  understanding what I'm saying.
>>>
>>> I have no preconceived notions.  All I can see here is an
>>> antagonistic
>>> attitude on your part.  What's the problem?  You'll recall from my
>>> first message that I asked for suggestions about how to approach the
>>> issue.  jhb provided some; you haven't so far.  From what you've
>>> written, it's unclear whether you disagree with jhb or not.  If you
>>> do, why?  If you don't, what's your point here?

>>> How do you run that on a system that won't boot?
>> You said the system worked with 4 GB (albeit detecting only 3.5 GB).
>> My perception of this whole ACPI thing is that it is fixed in your
>> BIOS (although it can be overridden by the OS).  As such, the amount
>> of RAM you have in the machine shouldn't change acpidump results.  Is
>> that not correct?
>> Jon
>
> This is absolutely correct.

It might though.  Notice the change in APIC version with 4GB of RAM vs
8GB.  The APIC hardware is the same, so that's already indicative of
something fishy going on.  I think that his APIC address is correct
though as otherwise no interrupts at all would work and it wouldn't
claim to have 24 IRQs on the APIC in both cases.  One can always boot
an i386 non-PAE kernel with 8GB in the machine and get an acpidump
though.