Problems with AMD64 and 8 GB RAM?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 30 21:15:03 PST 2005

[gratuitous empty lines removed]

On Wednesday, 30 March 2005 at 21:28:36 -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>>> This shows that in the - case the APIC is broken somehow (0.0 isn't a
>>> valid I/O APIC version).
>>
>> You mean the + case, I suppose.  Yes, that's what I suspected.
>>
>>> It would seem that the system has mapped RAM over top of the I/O
>>> APIC perhaps?
>>
>> That's what I suspected too, but imp doesn't think so.
>
> I'd be more inclined to believe that there is an erroneous mapping
> by the OS, not that things are fundamentally broken in hardware.

Agreed.  This has been my favourite hypothesis all along.  But isn't
that what jhb is saying?

> Your SMAP table shows everything correctly.  It's becoming hard to
> break through your pre-concieved notions here and explain how things
> actually work.

No, there's nothing to break through.  I think you're just having
problems

1.  expressing yourself, and
2.  understanding what I'm saying.

I have no preconceived notions.  All I can see here is an antagonistic
attitude on your part.  What's the problem?  You'll recall from my
first message that I asked for suggestions about how to approach the
issue.  jhb provided some; you haven't so far.  From what you've
written, it's unclear whether you disagree with jhb or not.  If you
do, why?  If you don't, what's your point here?

>>> It would be interesting to see the contents of your MADT to see if
>>> it's trying to use a 64-bit PA for your APIC.
>>
>> Any suggestions about how to do so?
>
> man acpidump

How do you run that on a system that won't boot?

Greg