Problems with AMD64 and 8 GB RAM?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Wed Mar 30 15:25:41 PST 2005

On Wednesday 30 March 2005 03:09 pm, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 March 2005 at 16:04:44 -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> > Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

> >> They appear to be.
> >
> > I don't understand what you mean here.
>
> As I said above (and trimmed for convenience), this problem occurs on
> 5.4-PRERELEASE as of yesterday morning.  The dmesg shows that too.
>
> >> As I described, it doesn't appear to be the drivers.
> >
> > I don't see how you proved or disproved this.
>
> Shall I resend the original message?  It seems independent of any
> particular driver.  That's not proof, of course, but I didn't claim
> it was.

Greg:  The busdma problems from 5.3-RELEASE are fixed.  That doesn't
mean that there are no *other* problems.  Scott is saying "the old
busdma bug shouldn't be affecting 5.4-PRE", and he's correct.

Most likely, something else is happening, eg: you're running out of KVM
or something silly like that.  I know we're right on the brink at 8GB.
The layout of the devices may be just enough to tip it over the edge.
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com