Tyan k8sr lockups

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Tue Mar 29 02:03:09 PST 2005

I have a brand new Tyan k8sr based system with a megaraid 320-2X
controller in it.

This is my second copy of this box (the first one is being replaced
since it keeps locking up and reporting "memory size changed" in the
BIOS, even with a new motherboard)...

Anynow, this particular machine has just simply locked up with no
errors reported to console or syslog or BIOS.  It does have a newer
BIOS rev, so perhaps that is why nothing is logged to BIOS...  This
happens during times of heavy loads (large database reports, database
dump, database replication all simultaneously running).  If the machine
doesn't crash, I'll see a "bge0 timeout -- resetting" in the syslog
most days during the time of heavy load (reports run on a remote
client).

I see at
http://unix.derkeiler.com/Mailing-Lists/FreeBSD/hackers/2005-03/
0419.html that this is happening to at least one other person on this
motherboard, but using the on-board controller.

Someone else just noted similar lockups with 5.3 with SMP running
mysql, and about 2 weeks ago there was a discussion about amr driver
panic under 5.4-PRERELEASE, both on the stable@ list.  However these
were not amd64 systems, if that matters.

FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE as of March 22, 2005 is running on this system.
It has a dual Opteron 246 2GHz and 4GB RAM.

Could it be some strange interaction of the K8SR and the 320-2X
megaraid card?  This makes two machines exhibiting very unstable
behavior, and I've already replaced the motherboard on one of them.