AMD64 Ports

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Thu Mar 24 13:54:49 PST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 12:50:13PM -0800, Astrodog wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:10:36 -0800, David O'Brien <obrien at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 06:24:24PM -0800, Astrodog wrote:
> > > How could we denote a linux32 dependancy?
> >
> > I don't follow.  The current idea is that the linux_base port when
> > installed for FreeBSD will install both 32-bit and 64-bit[*] bits.
> >
> > [*] When 64-bit Linux support is later added.  We have enough polishing
> > to do to just support all the things we've already got to the standards
> > people expect of FreeBSD.
> > --
> > -- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)
> >

> We have 2 problems, that I see.
>
> #1. Linux32 doesn't appear to be addressed for dependancies at all,
> almost every linux-something port I've found, calls itsself i386 only,
> and sometimes has minor RPM issues.

What are the minor RPM issues?  I knew there are some (see archives for
the arguments over the way we currently igngore them).  But a summary of
current issues would be good.

'amd64# cd /usr/ports/print/acroread ; make install'
worked for me at work.

> #2. With IA32 Compatibility, it should be possible to install
> i386-only ports, and packages in quite a few cases, because of the
> binary compatibility stuff. I'm not sure how this could be handled
> either, since it would require a specific kernel option be enabled....
> much like Linux32, I suppose.

Assume that if someone goes out of their way to install a 32-bit port,
they have not removed the IA32 support from their kernel.  This is now in
the default GENERIC config for 5.4.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)