amr performance woes and a bright side [UPDATE]

Sven Willenberger sven at dmv.com
Wed Mar 23 14:20:48 PST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 14:01 -0800, ray at redshift.com wrote:
> | At any rate, I am glad I can stay with the FreeBSD option now.
> |
> | Sven
>
> Hi Sven,
>
>   I was following along with your e-mail there - is there any reason you are
> using postgress over MySQL?  I use FreeBSD with MySQL here and have very good
> luck with it.  I did use postgress years ago, but moved to MySQL and had better
> luck.
>
>   Also, in your testing, are you using a generic FreeBSD kernel or have you done
> any tuning, tweaking to it and/or the OS settings?
>
>   I recently completed some tweaking with FreeBSD/apache and PHP and from start
> to finish, ended up with a 750% increase in TPS.  So tweaking and fine tuning
> (and being open to changing apps/versions of software) can have a big impact.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ray

We are using PostgreSQL for its stored procedures, stability,
SQL-compliance, and ability to handle 100G+ tables without flinching. It
has been only recently that mysql has even added subqueries much less
the higher functionality that we are seeking from a database; after
evaluation, PostgreSQL was the enterprise-grade solution that we were
seeking, and, with proper tweaking, does perform quite well. After one
too many experiences with corrupt mysql tables, workarounds to
implementing basic SQL compliant queries, and seeming lack of
functionality, the switch to PostgreSQL was almost a no-brainer.

Not trying to get into a db shootout as each system has its merits and
drawbacks; for what we needed, PostgreSQL provided the solution.

I am running a modified kernel that adds plenty of memory for use by the
shared memory system PostgreSQL enjoys.

Sven