ia32 ports...

Sean rsh.lists at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 01:49:07 GMT 2005

David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 11:17:21AM -0500, David Gilbert wrote:
>
>>Having wrestled with a few ports (including java) on amd64, what I
>>don't understand is why we don't have the capability to compile ia32
>>versions of ports that won't compile in amd64 mode...
>

> We don't yet support building any 32-bit apps on a 64-bit system.  I have
> some changes to GCC I need to finish.  We also need to start installing
> the 32-bit headers and .a's.  And this is just for the base system.
>
> If you want to build a 32-bit package under a 64-bit OS, you also need to
> have two copies of gtk, gettext, libiconv, etc... installed.  It turns
> into a mess.

I thought I have seen posts stating that people are using 32 version of
programs on 64 bit amd?

So I guess some people have done this with the two copies you mentioned?
Then why if these 32 bit programs can't easily be built, if at all, do
we add such things as with_lib32=yes to make.conf and options like
LINPROCFS, COMPAT_LINUX32 ,COMPAT_IA32 , COMPAT_FREEBSD4 ,COMPAT_43 to
the kernel config?
I thought with these added in 32 bit program support was available?

				Thanks
				Sean