Stable Opteron configurations with 16GB or more

Jens Andre Griepentrog griepent at wias-berlin.de
Wed Jun 29 22:50:50 GMT 2005

Dear FreeBSD AMD64 Community,

I would like to get an Opteron compute server with a large amount
of memory appropriate for three-dimensional numerical simulations.

I have got some offer for a system with a Tyan S2882-D or S2892 board
with two Opterons 248HE, U320 SCSI disks, and 16GB memory. But after
tweaking out more information the same dealer concedes severe BIOS
problems with the 90nm Opteron version connected to more than 2GB
of memory! So one can feel a little bit irritated having in mind
that all 248HE Opterons are manufactured in 90nm process ...

It would be nice to hear from experienced BSD users which combinations
of Opteron mainboards and processors work stable with 16GB or more of
installed memory.

Best regards,
Jens A. Griepentrog

PS: I would like to thank the whole BSD Community for their efforts
maintaining that nice operating system which I have been using now
for over ten years.