Slower MySQL inserts for AMD64/Opteron?

ray at redshift.com ray at redshift.com
Wed Jun 22 23:01:34 GMT 2005

I think it's just a little odd that the AMD would be twice as fast with selects
yet 20% slower on inserts.  As far as variables, both machines are running
pretty much the same config.  I'm going to install i386 on the AMD and re-run
the tests to see if the problem has to do with something in i386 vs. AMD64.

Anyway, thanks.  Like you say, there are a few variables here - I was really
hoping to maybe run across someone that had been down this road before and could
comment on maybe something I'm over looking.  According to the FAE at AMD, even
on a bad day the Dual 246 opteron should drag the Xeon through the mud - but so
far nothing here has shown that to be the case.  It just feels like I've missed
some big thing I'm supposed to do to get the AMD in high gear on FreeBSD - but
so far I am at a loss as to what that is.  Nothing against AMD, but so far the
big solution (or potential solution) which has been suggested was to install
i386 so the AMD didn't have to deal with 64 bit pointer (or something along
those lines).  That's fine and I'm going to test that, but it just makes me
wonder why a possible solution would be to install the i386 code vs. the AMD64
code, when that's supposed to be much better right?

Anyway, I'm still hunting around, but I thought maybe someone might have some
suggestions and/or ideas to test out.

Ray

At 06:51 PM 6/22/2005 +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
| Too many variables there too draw any conclusions from the comparison.
| Compare like for like.
|
|     Steve / K

person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection, the
recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise disseminating
it or any information contained in it.