6.0-Current and gcc 4.x

Xin LI delphij at frontfree.net
Sat Jun 18 13:01:50 GMT 2005

Hi,

在 2005-06-18六的 13:46 +0200,O. Hartmann写道:
> Hi.
> As I see in the sources, FreeBSD 6.0-Current is still based on gcc
> 3.4.4. I think due to code freezing this version will be the platform
> compiler when 6.0-RELEASE comes out. Are there any plans using a more
> recent version of gcc, like 4.0 or 4.1? On some lists I read something
> about better support of the features of AMD64/EM64T architectures,
> especially SSE3.

Currently there is no plan to upgrade to GCC 4.x.  We are in a code
slush for preparation of RELENG_6 right now, since GCC 4.x import would
involve a large scale code modification (some of our code would not
compile on gcc 4.x since it is more picky than 3.x series, and some of
gcc 3.x features has been removed since they are not ISO C/C++ and
certain part of our code has utilized these features), and causes
performance degradation on i386 architecture, I don't think we will
import gcc 4.x in FreeBSD 6.x.

Help on making FreeBSD compile on newer compiler(s) and clean up the
code base is always appreciated, of course :-)  Meantime you would be
able to get latest GCC 4.x from our ports collection.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij delphij net>  http://www.delphij.net/