HDAMD, 39320A-R and U320 disks

NAKAJI Hiroyuki nakaji at jp.freebsd.org
Sat Jun 18 00:09:06 GMT 2005

Hello all,

After 9 months, I started operation on my Dual Opteron system which I
bought in the end of Sep 2004.

I posted a mail to amd64 list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-amd64/2004-September/002152.html
and long time no use of this box.

The system is,

o Rioworks HDAMD
o 2 Opteron CPUs (1.4GHz, almost 1 year old)
o 1GB memory
o Adaptec 39320A-R (PCI-X)
o 2 U320 drives (72GB)
o ATA disk (80GB)

I made a snapshot on 20050616 and tried it. The results are,

1. When ACPI is enabled by BIOS, all devices including 39320A-R on
   PCI-X bus are detected but the disks connected to 39320A-R are not
   found and the system seems hangup.
2. When ACPI is disabled, many of devices such as 39320A-R are not
   detected and installation onto ATA drive can finish. But with NO
   SCSI. (Oops, I forgot copy dmesg.boot...)

How can I use this U320 system then? Are there any additional patch
for current or any hope?

FYI, Solaris 10 can work with this system, but (Free|Net)BSD
cannot. The situation on NetBSD is worse than on FreeBSD. When I
tested it 9 month ago, Fedora Core 2 also worked.

Thanks.
--
NAKAJI Hiroyuki