Athlon64 board with ECC support?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jun 14 16:53:29 GMT 2005

Freddie Cash <fcash at ocis.net> wrote:
 > On June 14, 2005 09:10 am, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > That's interesting.  I've seen several Athlon64 and Opteron
 > > systems, and it was my impression that the latter were all
 > > noisier and ran "hotter".  But my impression could be wrong.
 >
 > All Athlon64 systems are single-CPU setups.  They're also usually in large
 > tower cases with large (quiet) fans, and tonnes of heatsinks.  Athlon64
 > CPUs also support various throttling and power save modes that further
 > reduce the noise / heat.
 >
 > While it is possible to have single-CPU Opteron systems, most are dual-CPU
 > or quad-CPU.

The systems which I referred to were single Opterons.

 > > It's also interesting to note that there are now plenty of
 > > Athlon64-based notebooks, but I haven't seen any Opteron
 > > notebook so far, which lead me to believe that the Athlon64
 > > has some power-saving features which the Opteron lacks.
 > > Does the Opteron have "PowerNow" or "Cool'n'Quiet"?
 >
 > The latest Opterons do, not sure about older Opterons.  But, Opterons are
 > designed for multi-CPU setups.

Only the 2xx and 8xx Opterons.  The (cheap) 1xx Opterons
are for single-CPU systems.

_If_ I buy an Opteron system (which I'm currently not sure
about), it'll be a single-CPU system.  That's already
expensive enough, and I don't need that much CPU power,
so why waste money on a second processor?

 > Why would you want to run one in a laptop?

I don't want to.  I'm just making observations and try to
find some sense in them.  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver

"If you think C++ is not overly complicated, just what is a protected
abstract virtual base pure virtual private destructor, and when was the
last time you needed one?"
        -- Tom Cargil, C++ Journal