What kind of MotherBoard is better for FreeBsd and linux?

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Tue Jun 14 10:01:46 GMT 2005

On Tue, Jun 14, 2005 at 11:35:23AM +0200, Martin Nilsson wrote:
> David O'Brien wrote:
> >On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:35:12AM +0400, Oleg Rusanov wrote:
> >
> >>What kind of MotherBoard for Amd64 OPteron 252 or 264 processors is
> >>better for FreeBsd and linux?
> >>
> >>----------------Amd64 OPteron 264 MBs-------------
> >>MSI
> >>K8D Master3 (MS-9161)
> >>2.0  eATX  AMD-8131  Supports up to processor stepping: E6
> >
> >This board is nice in that it has 12 DIMM slots - so you can easily get
> >12gb or 24gb in a 2P machine.  Uses the AMD8100 chipset.
>
> It is very picky with the memories on the CPU that have 8 slots. MSI
> only supports 8 dimms on that CPU at 266MHz, 6*dimm at 333MHz.

It depends on the revision of the Opteron used.  Rev.E CPU's should
handle 8*DDR333 fine.

> MSI:s support is slow and terrible - you get what you pay for!

Agreed!  They also have a nasty habit of end-of-lifeing their Opteron
boards.  In fact you can't even navigate to the MS-9161 product page on
the MSI USA web site. :-(

> I'm testing the Supermicro OEM boards instead, I will post a status
> report when I know more.

What model board do you have?

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)