amd64/82178: missing 32bit subsystem

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Sun Jun 12 23:20:27 GMT 2005

The following reply was made to PR amd64/82178; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To: morgothdbma <morgothdbma at o2.pl>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: amd64/82178: missing 32bit subsystem
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 16:12:03 -0700

 On Sun, Jun 12, 2005 at 10:10:11PM +0000, morgothdbma wrote:

 > >Synopsis:       missing 32bit subsystem
 >       each time I want to run FreeBSD i386 binary I have answer
 > that I haven't ld-elf32.so, I copied that library where system
 > wanted me to, but now it wants libc.so.5, I cannot replace my 64bit
 > libc.so with 32bit libc.so, mayby I shoul copy all 32bit files
 > somewhere like /usr/32bit_world or something else.

 > I don't know, can U tell me how to setup a 32bit subsytem inside
 > 64bit system, I want at least run simple C programs. BTW: is there
 > 32bit/64bit linux emulation in FreeBSD 5.4 amd64

 Please read the freebsd-amd64 mailing list archive.  There
 is ample information there to help answer your problem.

 In short, install the source tree.  Add WITH_LIB32=yes
 to /etc/make.conf.  Add

 options         COMPAT_IA32             #Compatible with i386 binaries
 options         LINPROCFS
 options         COMPAT_43
 options         COMPAT_LINUX32

 to your kernel configuration file.  Follow the instructions
 in /usr/src/UPDATING on procedure for updating your system.

 After the system has rebooted, install the linux ports you
 want.  You'll definitely want

 linux-XFree86-libs-4.3.99.902_2 XFree86 libraries, Linux binary
 linux_base-8-8.0_6  Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (only for i386)

 --
 Steve