Top broken in AMD64?

Andreas Klemm andreas at freebsd.org
Thu Jun 9 05:05:35 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 04:03:43PM -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 10:35:13PM +0200 I heard the voice of
> Andreas Klemm, and lo! it spake thus:
> >
> > I'd say normally you should expect to see what processes within
> > delta t led to 0.0% idle.
>
> How would you do that, when the process no longer exists?

ok this would mean then, that processors are soo/too quick nowadays
in comparison to former times ? Or what does it tell us ?

Although it really looks strange too me that the machine is completely
busy but not showing anything.

Even if I do a time make -j 8 buildworld I see only in rare cases
display of up to 8 cc1 processes but mostly no display.
as and ccp processes I see never.

Its really strange and I'm not completely convinced that everything
is right. If I remember right it was on exactly the same machine
P3 1 GHz where this behaviour changed. I think it was between
FreeBSD 4 and 5.

This machine here (amd64) 3000+ I only have since a few months.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.4
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/