Top broken in AMD64?

Andreas Klemm andreas at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 8 20:35:32 GMT 2005

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 11:54:42AM -0700, Sean McNeil wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 14:52 -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> > Building a kernel and top reports 0.0% idle, yet it doesn't show a single
> > program with ANY utilization under WCPU or CPU most of the time.
> > Ocassionaly it would show up to 20% on WCPU, but for the most part it's 0.
>
> That is because the processes are not lasting long enough to show in
> top.  This is perfectly normal behavior and top is not broken.

In former time that was different.
Unluckily I don't remember when this changed.

Even if its not a bug it limits the usefulness of top.

I'd say normally you should expect to see what processes
within delta t led to 0.0% idle.

Can perhaps somebody explain why top nowadays seem to behave
differently to lets say 2 years ago ?

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.4