Choosing a mainboard, anyone running a Tyan Tomcat K8E 2865 ?

Dieter freebsd at sopwith.solgatos.com
Wed Jul 20 19:39:29 GMT 2005

Is anyone running a Tyan Tomcat K8E 2865 ?

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tomcatk8e.html

Like it?  Hate it?  Problems?

The Tomcat K8E 2865 has the best combination of features
(for my needs) I've found so far.

Alternately, are there similar boards I should consider?

Required:

	AMD64
	multiple 5 Volt PCI slots (the more the better)
	supports ECC (word is some boards don't, e.g. traces left out)
	decent quality/reliablilty

Desired:

	SATA (more than 4 would be nice, this is one weak point of the 2865 for me)
	onboard video & audio
	gig-ethernet
	USB
	firewire
	PCI-e (for future) (the more the better)
	more than 1 RS-232 port
	supports Cool-n-Quiet

Would be nice, but I don't expect to get it:

	more than 7 total expansion slots (PCI + PCI-e)
		I'm not married to the ATX form factor
	SCSI

Not required:

	parallel port