ASUS A8n_SLI Deluxe and 6.0SNAP-05: no SATA 300?

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Fri Jul 8 18:07:59 GMT 2005

Only for my interest: I use a ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard and
attached two had, one Maxtor 6B200MO and one Samsung SpinPoint SP2004C
(both 200GB, both claims to have NCQ, Samsung claims to be SATA II/SATA
300).
Booting FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT-AMD64 SNAP05 (July 2005), which luckily
boots now on this hardware platform, reports the Samsung drive to be
SATA 150. Is this 'normal' or is the SATA300 capability of the nForce4
chipset not yet supported?

I feel a little bit confused about how FreeBSD reports controllers in
5.4-STABLE. The nForce4 controller is reported to be UDMA33 on both
channels attached. Does this mean FreeBSD reports simply UDMA on
unrecognized controllers or does it means FBSD 5.4 REALLY handles the
controler/channel as a UDMA33 facility and therefore only with 33MB/s?

Thanks in advance,
Oliver