5.3 AMD64 on Tyan S2882 Thunder K86

Alan Jay alanj at digitalspy.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 15:31:15 PST 2005

Thanks for this - new to the list so sorry for not searching the archives.

Will report back tomorrow on how I get on.

> I am trying to install FreeBSD 5.3 AMD64 on twin
> Operton with 8Gb RAM using
> Tyan S2882 Thunder K86 motherboard and LSI MegaRAID
> SCSI controller.
> Almost every time I try to install at some point in
> the process I get some
> kind of panic usually:

Have you tried 'set hw.physmem="4G"' at the boot
prompt while doing the initial install?

If that works try cvsup to RELENG_5 (stable) and *not*
RELENG_5_3 (release). Make world/kernel and reboot wo.
hw.physmem.

This was mentioned in a previous thread.

HTH

Claus