Configuration of Compaq R3000

Kelly Black kjblack at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 07:52:32 PST 2005

Hello,

I have installed FreeBSD 5.3 on a Compaq Presario R3000. It has an AMD
64 bit processor.  First, I am very grateful for all of the work done
by Jung-uk Kim. If it were not for his work it would not have been
possible for me to get my machine going under FreeBSD.

Second, there appears to be a very serious performance issue with this
machine. I have a program that I use for benchmarks which approximates
a nonlinear PDE. It uses a 300x300 matrix which is relatively small so
it does not require much in the way of swap or memory caching. When I
run this program under freebsd it takes 234 seconds in user time (not
real). I have CygWin installed on the windows slice and ran the exact
same program. I have the 32 bit version of Windows XP. Under CygWin
the program takes 155 seconds in user time.

This is almost 33% better under MS windows and is a huge discrepancy!
It seems clear that something isn't right on the machine. I have
attached a copy of my kernel file. I have  applied many of the patches
so generously made available by Jung-uk Kim on this list.  The times
have remained consistent before and after all of updates.  I have used
RELENG_5 as the src-all tag in my cvsup,conf,

Any pointers on what I can do to tune this machine would be very
helpful. Has anybody come across this problem?

By the way, I have used this same program to benchmark an opteron
system. On that machine I installed FreeBSD 5.3 (generic kernel) and
then installed gentoo (2.6.9 kernel). The times under both OS's were
almost identical.

Sincerely,
Kel