Would this system work correctly with FreeBSD 5.3 ?

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 22 17:55:14 PST 2005

Sven Willenberger wrote:

> Scott Long wrote:
>

>> 4GB+ is a problem on 5.3-RELEASE due to DMA issues.  Only a small
>> handful of storage drivers will actually work.
>>

> We are looking to implement a postgresql solution using dual opteron/8G
> RAM and LSI battery-backed scsi card (LSI MegaRAID 320-2X - 53C1030
> controller) RAID array. Are there any issues with this type of
> configuration?? Looking at the hardware Release notes I do not see any
> mention of this memory issue or what storage drivers are or are not
> affected.

The problem is not in the release notes because we didn't discover it
until shortly after the release.

The amr driver in 5.3-RELEASE has particularly bad problems with
4GB+.  I've fixed it in both 5-STABLE and 6-CURRENT and it should be
fairly reliable.  There is a rare condition that causes problems under
extreme load, but I think I fixed this as a side effect of other changes
in 6-CURRENT.  I'm currently testing and validating these changes for
5-STABLE.

Scott