Would this system work correctly with FreeBSD 5.3 ?

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 21 16:15:38 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 11:29:01PM +0000, Hugo Silva wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I'm buying a Quad AMD Opteron 64 bits, with 4GB memory. I'd like to know
> if FreeBSD 5.3 will support a quad-cpu system (with HTT, 8) correctly,
> without performance losses and consistent operation, no crashes etc. Is
> the 4GB memory still a problem in amd64 ?

This configuration does not exist -- AMD does not have a HTT (SMT) processor.
AMD will lauch full-fledged dual-core (CMP) CPU's later this year.

That said, FreeBSD 5.3 should run just fine on a 4-CPU 4GB Opteron
server.  That said, I prefer to run 5-STABLE (RELENG_5) on the
FreeBSD/amd64 platform as it gets a lot of improvements committed to it.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)