Failure on today's CVS (stable, AMD)

Michael R. Wayne freebsd at wayne47.com
Wed Jan 19 13:42:33 PST 2005

CVS today.  Dual Opteron running
   5.3-STABLE #3: Tue Nov 30 01:44:05 EST 2004

Following the instructions in UPDATING, I get the following,
indicating a bad kernel.  2 questions:

1) Is this a known, corrected issue as of today?  I ran another
   CVSUP and did not see any changed to src.

2) More importantly, I recovered by loading /boot/kernel.old/kernel
   and the box is up BUT I am concerned that the NEXT time that I
   do "make installkernel" I'll stomp on kernel.old losing this fallback
   procedure.  I can certainly copy /boot/kernel.old to /boot/kernel.save
   but is there something else I should save?  Or is there another
   suggested procedure?

/\/\ \/\/

The box failed with:

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s1a
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6

Manual root filesystem specification:
                       eg. ufs:/dev/da0a
  ?                  List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot>