Linux i386, NVidia on FreeBSD/amd64?

Wilhelm B. Kloke wb at arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Jan 18 23:32:45 PST 2005

Mikhail Teterin <mi at aldan.algebra.com> schrieb:

> 	2) NVidia X11 driver -- this is not a must, but would be very
> 	nice to have -- I have a fairly high-end dual-DVI card, that
> 	works fine on my dual PentiumII. Any hope of getting NVidia to
> 	release amd64-version?

I have got an amd64 and a Nvidia Quadro card. So I can tell you about
my personal experiences. So far, X11 works in 32bit-mode on both
amd64 and i386. On a real i386 (AMD K6) active stereo was near to usable
(minor flickering), on the amd64 I observed a lot more of flickering
perturbations, in fact, there are only few moments, when stereo is
not disturbed. The standard nv driver works fine on amd64. I asked
for support for amd64 on the NVidia Linux forum. No answer till now.

Probably you better stick to Linux when using the NVidia card.
--
Dipl.-Math. Wilhelm Bernhard Kloke
Institut fuer Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universitaet Dortmund