[RFC] what to name linux 32-bit compat

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 17 20:41:02 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 12:38:18PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> We need to decide how to have both Linux i686 and Linux amd64 compat
> support live side-by-side.  At the moment my leanings are for
> /compat/linux32 and /compat/linux.  We could also go with /compat/linux
> and /compat/linux64 <- taking a page from the Linux LSB naming convention
> (ie, they have lib and lib64).

kan (Alexander Kabaev) fealt we could probably just follow Red Hat
Enterprise Linux - which would put both 32-bit and 64-bit bits under
/compat/linux.  Upon thinking more about this; I think this will work.
The linux32(1) command will be a little harder to impliment than seperate
/compat/linux* (and I'm sure other details will have to be solved); but
this does simplify things from a ports application POV.

jhb agreed this was probably the better approach so I think this is what
we'll do.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)