Running i386 scripts in 5.3

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Mon Feb 28 02:17:48 GMT 2005

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 12:01:15AM -0800, Tim Traver wrote:
> ok, I have read a bunch of the posts on the subject, and it seems like a
> fairly complicated subject.
..
> However, I didn't realize that there are several binaries that I need to
> run that are i386 binaries, and there is no way for me to re-compile them.
>
> I've tried the /usr/src/tools/lib32/build32.sh script, and although it
> appeared to work, there were many wanrings. When trying to run my
> binaries, it get core dumps.
>
> Is there a better way to do this ? or should I just recompile the kernel
> using i386 to be sure ?

You should upgrade to a 5.4 prerelease snapshot (or just wait for
5.4-RELEASE).  5.4 will be released sometime in April.  If you need
something now, CVSup to RELENG_5 and build your system (after this
weekend).

> And is there a roadmap to get a nice clean method for running i386
> binaries ? what about i386 binaries from 4.x ?

There will a clean way to run i386 4.x binaries be for 5.4-RELEASE.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)