ext2 filesystem lockups

Astrodog astrodog at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 01:21:08 GMT 2005

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:06:54 +0100, Markus Trippelsdorf
<markus at trippelsdorf.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 19:35 -0300, João Carlos Mendes Luís wrote:
> > David O'Brien wrote:

> > Just curious: what is the drive interface with the ext2fs?  IDE?
>
> Yes, it's the normal IDE interface (ATA UDMA133 drive).
>
> > The very same hardware is now on 32-bit mode FreeBSD 5.3-stable, without
> > any problems at all.

> > > I've heard enought reports of ext2 problems on 32-bit i386, that I don't
> > > trust it in situations that "have to work".  By far the most widely
> > > supported FS is vfat32 [mount_msdosfs(8)].
> >
> > The last time I had to use msdosfs, on 4.* it was extremely slow
> > compared to UFS on the same disk.  Did this get better on 5.*?
>
> I want to use the filesystem for my music collection, so I'm willing to
> trade fastness for reliability.
>
> __
> Markus

vfat32/MSDOSFS is going to be the most supported, seeing as I can
mount these types of filesystems on just about every OS out there.
Regarding speed, there's a pretty big tradeoff, but even if it reduces
drive I/O by %50, you're still above the speed of a 10/100 NIC, and
certainly above the speed an MP3 streams at. (You're right at the
limit, for DVD Video) In short, yes, it will be slower, but for the
purposes of storing MP3s, and whatnot, the speed tradeoff is
inconsequencial(sp), and it beats loosing everything every once in
awhile.

--- Harrison Grundy