Any experience with "Asus A8N-SLi" or "Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI" mobos?

Florent Thoumie flz at xbsd.org
Tue Feb 15 05:34:43 PST 2005

Mark Magiera wrote:

> Ok, quick update. I finally bought the mobo (Asus A8N-SLi) along with a
> 6600GT PCI-E and while there are a few problems, they seem the kind that
> can be ironed out over time.

	I have the same motherboard with a Geforce 6600 too.

> Basically, freebsd installs in both 32 and 64 bit mode but in both
> cases, the network card is so unrelaible that half way through a cvsup
> (or anything else) it dies and nothing (that I know of) but a reboot
> fixes it, this is for the "sk" device. As for the other nic (the nforce
> one), I didn't look into it much but it seems there's no driver for it
> except one possibly (ports/net/nvnet) but since I'm unable to even do a
> simple cvsup with the other card, it's not much use. Also the nvnet
> driver is for 32bit mode only.

	I tried unsuccessfully net/nvnet.

> For some further testing, I booted a FreeSBIE cd (to see if the GPU
> worked) and X/xfce4 ran on that flawlesly, probabaly not with the nvidia
> driver but still good to know.
>
> Basically, if anyone's going for a 64 bit install with similair
> hardware, forget about it if you rely on network access or unless
> either the "sk" drivers are updated to a state where they work better,
> or you have all distfiles and a recent snapshot of ports on cd.

	sk(4) driver included in 5.3-R is indeed unusable. It took me
	some hours to get a fresh src-all cvsup'd. I don't have problems
	now with this chip, but I think it had issues with DHCP. Not sure
	though.

	I'm waiting for new xorg to see if I can run a decent X server
	because Nvidia hasn't released amd64 version of their FreeBSD
	driver yet.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at xbsd.org